Nov 20, 2010

'Weeping Madonna' Makes Area Appearances

An internationally known statue has arrived in Cincinnati as part of a worldwide tour.
The Our Lady of Fatima statue, also known as the "Weeping Madonna," is on display at St. William Parish in Price Hill, and many area Catholics are hoping to witness her message of hope. "I felt I really needed to come," said Ashley Gonzalez, who brought her daughter, as well as some roses to place at the statue's feet. "I was wanting to pray to the virgin for some different things I need in my life."The statue is named for a village in Portugal where three children reported a vision of the Virgin Mary in 1917, and the last surviving witness described the vision to the sculptor who created the piece in 1947."She said this is as accurate as you could be as far as the dress (and) the appearance of that person," said Carl Marburg, the statue's caretaker.Marburg accompanies the statue from country to country, and he said miracles follow the artwork."I thought it was very emotional," said Jan Sullivan, who came to see the statue. "It's one of those things that happens once in a lifetime, as far as I'm concerned."The statue will travel to several area churches until Thanksgiving, and then it will go to Saint Louis and then to Saipan.